Tuesday 5 November 2013

Alexander Fontein Sauvignon Blanc 2013

There is nothing better than a quaffer of a Sauvignon Blanc to get you through those hot summer days, and for the last couple of years that wine has been the Alexander Fontein Sauvignon Blanc. So I thought I’d give the new vintage (2013) a try. It retails for around R50 a bottle – depending on where you buy it – and to place the cherry on top of an already tasty cake, it won gold at the recent Veritas awards.

On the nose you find gooseberries, green figs, and just a hint of minerality. The palate is in the same vein with the gooseberries shining through, accompanied by notes of passion fruit and subtle asparagus. The acidity on this wine is very high, and normally I love that in a Sauvignon Blanc, but in this one it is so high that it bothered even me a bit. It just threw the balance of the wine completely off. I even struggled to finish my second glass, and that is a pity, because it ruins what otherwise is a good wine. So for the same price I would rather buy the more balanced Diemersdal Sauvignon Blanc to have my back this summer…

Score: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment