Thursday 29 May 2014

Should I pay attention to the OMTWS?


On Wednesday the 2014 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show (OMTWS) results were released, and I found myself to be quite perplexed at what I saw when making my way through them. I think what probably set me off was the fact that all of the wines entered by Cederberg Private Cellar were to be found in the Bronze category. The more I paged through the Bronze winners, the more dumbfounded I became. The shear amount of high quality wines deemed to be worthy of only Bronze is quite worrying. So I took 10 wines (8 Bonze winners and 2 Silver winners) and compared the OMTWS ratings to a few other ratings and this is what I found…

The OMTWS categories are as follow:
Gold = 90 points and over (superlative, world class)
Silver = 80 to 89 points (excellent, wine of distinction)
Bronze = 70 to 79 points (good to very good)
(This information along with anything you want to know about the competition or the judges can be found at www.dogreatthings.co.za/trophywineshow)
Sijnn Red 2010

Old Mutual Bronze: (70 to 79 points)
Wine Spectator: 93 points
Christian Eedes: 90 points
 
Eagles’ Nest Shiraz 2010

Old Mutual Bronze: (70 to 79 points)
Robert Parker: 93 points
Christian Eedes: 92 points
Veritas Double Gold
 
Alto Cabernet Sauvignon 2010

Old Mutual Bronze: (70 to 79 points)
Miguel Chan: 92 points
 
Rustenberg John X Merriman 2011

Old Mutual Bronze: (70 to 79 points)
Neal Martin (Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate): 93 points
 
Jordan Nine Yards Chardonnay 2010

Old Mutual Bronze: (70 to 79 points)
Received the International Chardonnay Trophy at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2012
 
Ernie Els Proprietor’s Cabernet Sauvignon 2011

Old Mutual Bronze: (70 to 79 points)
Veritas Double Gold
 
Warwick Trilogy 2006

Old Mutual Bronze: (70 to 79 points)
Wine Enthusiast: 91 points
 
Meerlust Rubicon 2005

Old Mutual Bronze: (70 to 79 points)
Wine Enthusiast: 91 points
 
Meerlust Rubicon 2009

Old Mutual Silver: (80 to 89 points)
Neal Martin (Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate): 92 points
 
Beeslaar Pinotage 2012

Old Mutual Sliver: (80 to 89 points)
Christian Eedes: 94 points

Look, I know that people have different palates, but we are not talking about a couple of points here. The difference between a score in the 70’s and one in the 90’s is quite significant. To award the Eagles’ Nest 2010 Shiraz a Bronze really bamboozles me. It is arguably the best Shiraz in South Africa at the moment. The question that I am left with is should I even pay attention to the OMTWS, or do I turn a blind eye, pour myself another glass of wine and think happier thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I think the other side of the coin can also be true.....and I'm not trying to take anything away from any wine, winemaker or producer. Maybe the OMTWS is the most honest reflection of South African wine? One where the tasting panel is not full of winemakers giving biased scores to promote wines that in similar styles as to the style they make their own wine, and thereby ensuring that market trends do not shift away from their style of wine or wine making. Also where the wine's score is not influenced by previous results of that producer or the winemaker's charm? And lastly, maybe this is a wakeup call of the SA wine industry - showing them that it's not what you name or history is that is going to give you a good score, but what's in the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good point. What is concerning for me is the margin of difference, especially some of the wines rated in the 90's by Christian Eedes (who is one of the judges at Old Mutual) and the receiving 70's at OMTWS. I have tasted many of the wines, and I'm sure you have as well, and I can not see how they are below at the very least 80 points. I am all for blind tasting of wines and seeing it for what it is, but the wines listed above (and many not listed) are not 70-odd point wines, are they?

    ReplyDelete